Thursday, September 13, 2012

Part time = full time = all the time

As I begin writing this post, it is 6:49 on Thursday evening and I am still at school.  (I'm writing this here instead of at home because quite frankly I don't want to bring my personal computer back and forth).  I just finished preparing the sub materials for my planned absence at the beginning of next week.  I also got here an hour and a half before my first class this morning to do some other preparation and record-keeping.  Technically, I was only contractually obligated to be at school for less than four hours today, but instead I have put in roughly eight hours of work.  Counting my other job, I have already put in close to 50 hours of work, and it's not even Friday.

This is in no way, shape, or form a complaint.  This is simply a tally.  I am choosing to be here of my own free will and I am happy to be doing the work I'm doing!  I'm also happy to be keeping myself occupied.  Additionally, I come from a family of workaholics so it doesn't surprise me in the least that I am following their lead, but it's interesting to note how much time it really takes to do a job well.  In fact, I was thinking about it:  I have a total of two hours of prep time built into my weekly schedule, but there is absolutely no way in the world I would ever be able to do everything I need to in that time.  Even if I were an experienced teacher I doubt that time would be enough.

Herein lies the great difference between hourly and salaried work.  All my life I have worked as an hourly employee, paid to do my job when I'm there and not paid when I'm not.  In some cases, as in tutoring, extra work I put into planning was also counted on my time sheet and duly reimbursed, so even though the time was outside of my scheduled tutoring hours it was still recognized.

The moment I started my college education I knew that I would never, ever be a "40 hour a week" kind of employee.  Especially as a teacher, the idea of coming in when I'm expected, leaving when the day is done, and doing all my work in the time I'm paid to do it has always seemed absurd.  Of course I'm going to work outside of school!  Of course I'm going to spend free time thinking about lessons and music to do with the kids!  What other option is there?

But I know this is a dangerously slippery slope.  There are teachers who work late into the evenings at school then go home and do more.  They come in on weekends.  They make their work their entire life and feel unsatisfied if every possible thing isn't accomplished (even though it will never all be accomplished).  And while the work is fulfilling -- exceptionally so, -- there is more to life than work.

In the past few weeks I have been trying to find that balance of work and the rest of life.  I have been trying to go to the gym regularly, to spend time with friends.  I even went out dancing one night this week!  I want to try and establish the habit of saving time for myself and the people I care about.  The people outside the school, that is.  I want to be devoted to my job, but I also recognize the importance of having a life that isn't associated with the same stressors and obligations of the thing that gives me my income.

Well, the custodian just came in and is vacuuming my carpet.  I should probably take that as my cue.  Off to the gym!

P.S.  Thanks to everyone who's been commenting on my posts!  I love reading what you have to say, and I always appreciate your support, suggestions, ideas, and response.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Work-life balance is important. I think we both work hard, but I know I don't always take the time to back off. My family medicine preceptor emphasized that, a lesson well-learned.

    ReplyDelete