Thursday, July 11, 2013

Making it Home

After nearly two weeks in the apartment without so much as a chair, our stuff has finally arrived.  Thank G-d.

To say we had challenges with the moving company is a gross understatement; from the moment they told us we were misinformed about the timeline of the moving process (a few weeks after picking up all the possessions from Tomm's old apartment) to finally getting our belongings a day later than promised, the whole ordeal has been a series of the most unfortunate events. But hopefully the bad luck that was the hallmark of this experience will make way for only the best of luck in our new apartment.

There is a great sense of accomplishment to be had in completely unpacking, assembling, putting away, and organizing one's apartment in a single day.  If only I could be that productive every day!

Today is my last full day in New York before I return to my small town home for the rest of the month.  Since the street had to be cleared for street sweepers today I had the responsibility of moving the car from the most glorious parking spot ever and finding some way to occupy myself for a couple hours.  So after filling the tank and cleaning it of all the papers and garbage that have accumulated since Tomm first bought it, I drove around trying desperately to find a parking spot so I could get some breakfast.  Oh, that reminds me.  Gotta buy milk today.

It took a while, but I finally found a one-hour spot along a street with a variety of cafes featuring words like "Organic" and "Vegetarian" on their artistically designed windows and signs.  I found a cozy little one and I only wish the parking meter would allow me to relax here longer.  Streaming unobtrusively through the speakers in the corner is the music of Louis Armstrong, Ella Fitzgerald, and Billie Holiday.  The granola was homemade, the fruit fresh, the baristas friendly and charismatic.  One even took my name with my order and then proceeded to actually call me by name as he brought out my food.  It's the little touches like that that make me feel a little less alone around here.

Loneliness is undoubtedly my greatest fear in this adventure.  I wouldn't call myself introverted, but nobody would peg me as a social butterfly.  It often takes time and a great deal of consistency for me to make friends.  People said it would be wonderful that we're living in resident housing because I would find the spouses of other doctors who are left with too much time on their hands, but unless I start knocking door-to-door trying to find them, I'm not sure how we'll meet.  It's not as if the super hosts weekend mixers for the non-doctors in the building.  Though wouldn't it be interesting if he did?

The last two days I combated the loneliness by going to a local animal rescue.  It's about a mile and a half away, a pleasant walk.  Once there I asked if I could walk some dogs, so I was presented first with a highly energetic pit-bull mix that strained at the leash.  We walked around for about a half hour and when I returned they asked if I'd like to walk another.  This went on for a couple hours and by the time I left I had walked five dogs ranging in size from a small terrier to a beautifully monstrous cane corso with a brindle coat.

I returned the next day and the employee from the day before recognized me.  I walked four dogs and also got into a conversation with another volunteer whose name I actually remember!  I walked with her to the train station along with the fattest dog I've ever seen who was incredibly happy when the walk was over.  There seem to be a lot of volunteers at the shelter and though I don't know if they need more, spending quality time with dogs who desperately need the attention is good for everyone involved.  If I have a chance I'll go back this afternoon.

Ultimately, my goal is twofold: to not be lonely, and to make friends.  Hopefully one leads naturally to the other.  Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Shiramind, July 11,2013

    I am enjoying following along with you, your adventures into the many avenues of your life. You're an amazing and articulate writer,an inspiration as well. One day you may add another cap with all the others you have earned. Some being a daughter, who I'm sure has made her parents very proud. A sister,student,teacher,friend,a soulmate (sp) to your fiancee,a young woman committed to her faith,and more. Perhaps that other cap may be an author/writer. I can assure you, I would be one of your biggest fans,as well as the first in line to purchase any/all of your books. Of course, I could also be the first to check out your book at my local Library. By now I'm sure you can tell how much I am enjoying your blog,aka your life.I wish you continued happiness,success,love,and that all your hopes and dreams become your reality. As a wise elderly lady once said to me,"Just Keep on Keepin on".
    One of your fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm honored to read such a beautiful response! I'm so glad to know my writing is enjoyed and appreciated. Who knows...maybe a book is in my future. For now I'm satisfied knowing that at least a handful of people are enjoying this blog :)

    ReplyDelete