Monday, August 27, 2012

An art degree would have been useful

I suspect that throughout the course of this blog, especially in the first few weeks and months, the most common topic of my posts will be "Things they didn't teach me in methods classes."  Today's specific point of interest: Decorating Your Classroom.

Decorating Your Classroom is certainly not something that is covered in any of the various methods classes I had to take in college.  There was no Music Ed 357: Decorating Your Classroom.  There was no talk of borders and color combinations, themes and clipart and designs, printing pictures vs. buying posters vs. attacking a giant sheet of blue paper with Sharpies and Crayola markers while praying to the gods of art, design, and Scholastic Inc.  Heck, other than being told I should have a list of positively-worded classroom rules placed squarely in the front of the room with glaringly large letters that no student would ever dare to ignore (sarcasm, anyone?), I received little to no guidance on the art of Decorating Your Classroom.

Please don't mistake my frustration for bitterness.  In the grand scheme of things, this is not the biggest of deals or the most mountainous of molehills.  But in case I wasn't already terrified enough at the prospect of having my own room with my own kids trying to follow my own rules while learning from my own lessons, I also find myself worrying entirely too much about the aesthetic appeal of this room that each child in the school will see for precisely 30 minutes every week.  Also, because this is just how my mind works, I feel like I can't move forward with planning my first lessons until the room looks just the way I want.

Unfortunately, and as is often the case, I have very little idea of what it is I want.

I do know this, though:  I want students to walk into the music room (which is in a new location this year) and be wide-eyed and breathless.  I want them to get excited just by looking around and feel how this will be a magical, wonderful place completely separate from the rigors of High Expectations and Closing the Achievement Gap (which are likely far more important to us adults than to any of the children we are so valiantly working for).  And I want to feel proud of this room that I suspect will feel something like a second home to me for a few hours every day.  After all, if I have to spend so much time in it, I'd better surround myself with things I like to see.

I also know that this will not be perfect the first time 'round.  My strengths lie in music and teaching, not interior design, and I can't expect my room to look quite as exciting and glorious as that of the veteran 1st grade teacher who, over the years, has collected and created more colorful posters and bulletin board ideas than there are paintings in the Louvre.  I should probably also cut myself some slack considering I saw my classroom for the first time precisely two weeks before the beginning of school and had very little in the way of posters and next to nothing in the way of other decorations.

This is one of those situations where I'm fully aware of how silly it sounds to worry so much about such a superficial thing.  Will my students have any less fun because the walls are a little more bare than in their regular classrooms?  Not at all.  In fact if I plan it right, those kids will be too busy singing and listening and dancing and learning to look around and contemplate the decor.  But still, I want to have pride in my space and I keep thinking that if I can make my room look like a music room should, then my teaching will follow suit.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure it will look fine. I'm a big fan of mounting stuff on bulletin boards at random angles so that you don't have to have straight lines. The tax deduction for buying your own school supplies is $250. Many teachers (especially those married to lawyers) spend that in the first week. If you've been teaching for 20 years -- that's a lot of borders. You may reach the point where you have to have your stuff delivered in a moving van but it's ok to start smal. Your kids will love what you do, and I'm sure you'll be able to convey your love of music to them. I'm glad you're blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tbh, I don't recall much of the decor in music rooms (other than perhaps a poster of Beethoven, which you should obtain if not already). What I DO remember is the smell of the room, the organization of the chairs, the instruments, and the sounds. I'm sure you'll make your room a wonderful experience, regardless of how it looks, because sound can supersede it all and embed deep into memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Been thinking of you in the first days of school -- looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete