Saturday, August 25, 2012

From the beginning

Sometimes in music we see the words "da capo" written above the notes, typically toward the end of a large section or a whole piece as an indication to go back "from the head" or "from the beginning" of the music.  When first reading a piece of music it can sometimes come as a surprise where upon nearing the final double bar line we suddenly notice that no, the music is not over, that we must go back to the beginning and play it again.  And of course, the second time through is never exactly like the first; that da capo gives us a wonderful opportunity for variation, change, more expression, more music.  Another shot at getting it right.  Another chance to make it perfect.

As a recent college graduate four days away from the first day of school of my first big teaching gig, I feel I have just reached a da capo of sorts.  After spending years studying music, practicing instruments, playing in ensembles, learning techniques of pedagogy and classroom management - in short, being a student - I am finally at the point where I can begin to realize my lifelong dream of being a school music teacher. I am excited beyond words, but the fear and uncertainty of my first truly significant teaching position is daunting and, at times, suffocating.  I feel like I am going back to the beginning of this thing called "music education" to start again but with the roles reversed: as the students' guide instead of the guided student.

That is one reason I chose this title for this blog.  It is also appropriately fitting because this first job is as a general music teacher for K4 through 2nd grades, and it really doesn't get more "from the beginning" than that.  There is an exceptional amount of responsibility in being a child's first introduction to formal music education, and I can only hope I live up to and beyond the expectations of my colleagues, my students, my family, my friends, and myself.

1 comment: