Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Settling in

I never would have guessed, but a laundromat is actually a rathter pleasant place to write.  I don't have a WiFi connection here so Facebook and Gmail have no hope of distracting me from this document.  The gentle hum of the dryers sends a subtle but noticeable tremor though the chair, and the sloshing churn of the washing machines has a calming effect with its promise of clean laundry.  Surely, there are few pleasures in life more simple than clean laundry: warm sheets, clean shirts, fresh starts.

It's been more than a week since my dad and I landed at La Guardia airport.  I don't know what's changed, but unlike the last time I was here when after a week I wanted nothing more than to be rid of this place, I'm actually feeling rather comfortable this time around.  Dare I say...happy?  Optimistic?  Over the last week I have been fairly productive around the apartment, putting things away and organizing and arranging and making it homey.  I have found a laundromat with inexpensive machines and nice people.  I have gotten into at least one surprisingly pleasant conversation with a couple wonderfully nice strangers and also taken their advice about checking out a nearby free public pool (which features Olympic-length lanes for swimming laps - YAY!  Also - pain).  I have cooked a few really tasty meals for Tomm, including Shabbat dinner last Friday with cholent for lunch on Saturday. 

Since arriving I've had no shortage of free time.  In fact, this is the longest period of time I've gone without being employed since I was in high school (not counting the 5 month Ulpan where I worked part time, even if it wasn't employment, per se).  I've been wondering what will happen come September when teachers and students fill the schools once again.  Will I be among them?  I have sent my resume to dozens of schools and educational programs in response to their job postings, and so far I have only had a couple interviews.  Very few of the postings are for full-time positions, which seems to be the way music education is going these days.  I have no choice but to remain optimistic, yet every so often reality pushes its way into my psyche and reminds me that getting a job as a music teacher, especially as an orchestra teacher, is among the harder things to achieve in today's educational climate and economy.

But it's only the beginning of August, so I still have at least two weeks before I REALLY have to freak out.  Until then, I'll just enjoy having the time to do things around the apartment, go swimming, and cook tasty meals for Tomm.

1 comment:

  1. So pleased to read that you're looking NYC in the eyes. You're adjusting to your new home and staying upbeat. All will come your way, my dear. All will be well.

    ReplyDelete