Sunday, August 18, 2013

Shul Shopping, Part II

As I mentioned last week, I had the intention of checking out the fourth and final synagogue on my list on Saturday morning.  Before I left I double-checked the list I had written, based on the recommendations of the Jewish chaplain at the hospital where Tomm works.  He told me the street and closest cross street of each synagogue, and this one he said was "Between 14th and 15th."  So, I headed in that direction.

Upon crossing 14th, I started looking for the shul.  Surrounding me were Jewish men in shtreimels (fur hats) and long, black, silk bekeshes (coats or robes) - definitely not the type of dress one would typically find in a modern orthodox synagogue.  And I did find a couple synagogues, but none of them featured the name I had written down or bore any resemblance to the kind of shul I was expecting.  Considering I didn't see a single woman near the entrances of any of these synagogues (keeping in mind that many orthodox women - especially the most strictly observant - do not attend synagogue services), I decided to forgo the quest of the Shul #4 and turn instead to Shul #3 which was right around the corner.

This time I sat in the lower women's section next to the men, separated by a wooden mechitza designed in such a way that I really had a decent view of what was going on.  I heard a bit better, though the person leading services this week was definitely not a vocally trained chazzan and I can't imagine I would have heard anything at all had I been sitting in the balcony.  The service was uneventful and afterward there was still no kiddush, so I didn't have much of an excuse or opportunity to strike up a conversation with any of the congregants.  Since I was sitting in a different area nobody seemed to recognize me, so after services I filed out along with everyone else and went silently on my way.

When I told Tomm about my experience and mentioned that they were looking for sponsors for a monthly kiddush, he offhandedly suggested we sponsor one.  Depending on what kind of kiddush they might be expecting, that's actually a rather brilliant idea.  It would certainly be a wonderful way to make ourselves known in the community and might help us meet our neighbors.  Then again, if I'm not 100% sure about dedicating myself to this shul, even for only a year, it might be a little disingenuous and I would surely be struck with unbearable Jewish guilt if I decided not to become a member.  Still, it's definitely an idea worthy of consideration and after the High Holy Days I'll give it more thought.

The Shul Shopping experience has given me a lot to think about in terms of Orthodox Judaism, where I fall along the spectrum of religious observance, and how I relate to others in the Jewish community.  It has also led me to do some cursory research into the perspectives of other religious Jewish woman as portrayed in blogs and articles on the Internet.  What I'm finding is very interesting for a lot of reasons, and my reactions to it will require their own blog post - so stay tuned!

Oh, and by the way, I looked up Shul #4 online and finally found it on the map -- a block further than I was told.  Maybe I'll try it out later, but Tomm has off next Saturday so I think I'll bring him to Shul #3 to see what he thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment